Friday, May 28, 2010

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen



One of the weirdest scenes I've ever photographed was while living on the island of Terceira in the Azores. Everyday, I would shoot a different part of the island. One one particular day while out photographing "a day in the life" of dairy farmers, I rounded a corner and came to a standstill in a traffic jam of sorts.

There was this farmer who was having trouble moving a dairy cow to another field. Normally a farmer would open a pasture gate and the cows would follow one another from one field to the next. But since he only had one cow to be used as a lawnmower to munch the front lawn, he was having serious problems.  I guess to him the most logical way to move one cow was by motor transport, but as you can see she didn't want to have any part of his plan. So after trying to coax her into the back of a truck, which was blocking the road and with the traffic backing up, he finally gave up and decided to put his back into the job.

I don't know just how long it took him to get that cow into the truck and since I already had a humorous photo, I decided to turn around and head back in the same direction. I guess that this proves that when you're out and about you'll never know what interesting or funny situation might lie in wait around the next corner.

1 comment: